Sunday, December 31, 2023

WELLS BRANCH

I spent most of my American childhood in the Austin suburb of Wells Branch! That is where my family bought a house in 1986, and where my mom lived until 2019.

She moved four years ago because she wanted a smaller and newer house. Unfortunately, there were not homes that fit the bill in Wells Branch, so she relocated to a community about ten miles to the east. Despite that, we always make a trip back to Wells Branch when we visit Austin. This year was no exception.

In the time since I moved away, the neighborhood added several amenities. There is a disc golf course, a public library, a community center, and a very nice crushed gravel running trail. We decided to take a walk and soak up the sun and take in the Wells Branch sites.



Our walk made me wistful for the good old days before countless deadlines, ladders to climb, and conflicts to navigate. I did not realize how simple my life was back then or how complicated the life I was aspiring would become. I also did not appreciate then just how beautiful a neighborhood Wells Branch was, even without all these new amenities. While Wells Branch was quite far from my high school and the other neighborhoods that fed into it, Wells Branch was safe, clean, and the closest neighborhood of my school district to Austin. This was a significant advantage for my folks who worked in town, and it made trips to downtown Austin much easier when I came back to visit them.

I'll always think fondly of Wells Branch. Who know, maybe we will snow bird there someday! 

No comments: