Sunday, December 24, 2023

MOUNTAIN MAN


Last weekend after I returned from Las Vegas, I headed straight to the Crisler Arena with Nicholas for Winter Commencement with one of my favorite writers and thinkers, David Brooks.

Mr. Brooks was the speaker that day and was receiving an honorary degree from UM. In many ways, his visit to Ann Arbor was fitting as he had inspired me to take a leap and move to UM some five years ago when I was comtemplating a career change. His concept of the "Second Mountain" and his take on the hero's journey inspired me to seek a new place to build community and grow as a human being, leader, and researcher. I just did not know how steep that mountain would be with a once in a lifetime pandemic and numerous personal and professional challenges along the way. You can find his speech beginning at the 1 hour and 32 minute mark here.

As I reflected on Brooks' speech last Sunday, I was struck by just how far I had come these past four and a half years and all the people with whom I had travelled that long journey. I came to appreciate just how lucky I am and how I am living the life I always dreamed of.

I will try to remember that during the hard days, the challenging days, and the dispiriting days. 

I now know it is possible to hold two disparate and seemingly contradictory ideas in one's head at once - life can be immeasurably difficult, but it can also be unimaginably beautiful and fulfilling. Life is full of downs AND ups. Nuance and perspective are the tools that keep us on track. Black and white are not colors the mountain man sees!

No comments: