Sunday, December 24, 2023

RE-CONNECTING

Yesterday morning, I had the chance to catch up with a professor from my days in Dallas, Dr. L. David Hillis. My decision to go to UT-Southwestern, and his decision to accept me during his time as Internal Medicine Residency Program Director, had a profound influence on my career and life.

I would not have met Kathleen or had the two wonderful kids I have were it not for Dr. Hillis. It is also doubtful that I would have been inspired to pursue the career path in academic medicine that I have.

Looking back on that interview day, I remember staying with Jos in North Dallas and getting on the North Dallas Tollway going in the wrong direction- north. What a confusing name for a road!

Realizing my mistake, I quickly exited and sped down to the the UT-Southwestern campus. I arrived at the very last moment and ran from the parking lot. I was still on time though! I rounded with Kathleen's post-call team on rounds and remember remarking to myself, who is that sexy blonde with the pixie haircut? Who knew I would end up there and end up with her?!

I thanked Dr. Hillis for what he has meant to my career and my life, and we took our annual photo together. We made plans to meet up for a football game in 2024 - maybe U of O vs. U of M!

This visit was one more reminder of how powerful friendship, memories, and community are. Indeed, they are the things that matter most in life!

No comments: