Sunday, December 24, 2023

U2 IN VEGAS WITH OLD FRIENDS (THE BEST KIND)

I have never had a lot of friends, but I have been fortunate to have had very deep relationships with the friends I have had. My medical school years were no exception, and I am still very close to several friends from that time in my life, whom I have known for almost 30 years. 

This past fall, one of them suggested we meet up in Las Vegas where U2 was playing a residence at the new performance space, the Sphere. 


Once the idea was throw out there, we all leaped at the opportunity! In fact, the title of this post is taken from the name of the text thread we set up to coordinate our trip, and it is indeed an apt description for that momentous weekend!

Last weekend, we all met up for music, meals, and a lot of meaning - reminding ourselves that our lives are more than just the stresses and challenges we face. Our lives are the totality of our existences, and we have so much to be grateful for.

I did not know how much I needed that weekend until it was over. I will carry the memories we made and all the memories from 30 years of knowing these old souls with them, including the smile on my face while this random stranger photobombed this picture on the Las Vegas Deuce bus!


As U2 frontman Bono sings in his song, "One, "We are one, but we are not the same. We get to carry each other, carry each other."





No comments: