Wednesday, December 7, 2022

SOMETIMES, WICHAS COME TRUE


Last Friday, we came together to celebrate the installation of the Wicha Family Professorship in Oncology, and I was honored to be named the inaugural holder of this Chair. It was a beautiful night - one of the best of my life. I am so glad I was able to share it with so many friends and family in person and online, including dear friends from medical school and residency who flew in for the ceremony.  


You can watch the recording here.

Foundational to this award was all the ways my families - from birth, to marriage, to medical training, and my faculty career - have helped to shape the story of my life thus far. I will not recapitulate my full remarks here, but suffice it to say that I came away from that evening even more grateful and humble.

I was reminded that night that I have lived a full and happy life because of so many people who cared for me, inspired me, and believed in me. We are all a product of our environments, and mine have been transformational.

So any men and women - including Dr. Grover Bagby at OHSU and Dr. Max Wicha here at U-M (pictured below) - have taken me under their wings and made me who I am. What could I have possibly done to deserve such amazing mentors?


As I move forward and begin my term as the Wicha Family Professor of Oncology, I will not lose sight of what it took to make it to this honor and all the many people who made my story possible. Sometimes in life, wishes come true, but sometimes Wichas come true, too!

No comments: