Tuesday, December 27, 2022

FLEISHMAN, PART II


After finishing the book, "Fleishman is in Trouble," I started to watch the limited edition series on FX. The series is every bit as compelling as the book, probably because the screenwriter is the book's author, Taffy Brodesser-Akner.

Like the book, the series takes on the same complicated characters navigating parenthood, marriage, work, and life on the upper east side of New York in our modern times. While there are many aspects of the book I cannot identify with - namely the ultra-rich and vacuous circle of the main characters' friends - I could identify with the challenges the main characters face. I

t is hard being a parent and even harder being two working parents, but the vast majority of my friends are in this boat, just like us. It is hard not to let slights build up, and it is hard to not assume the worst about one's partner and to avoid catastrophizing things.

I have not finished the series yet, but this book and series are a reminder that we are more than characters and that we have the capacity to learn from the lives of others, even if those lives are fictitious. I'll try to remember those lessons today and moving forward

No comments: