Friday, December 30, 2022

SAME, SAME, BUT DIFFERENT

Earlier this week, we travelled to the Dallas metroplex to visit Kathleen's aunt and uncle and to catch up with old friends from Baltimore, who now live in Dallas.


In many ways, Dallas still felt like "Glitter City" - my nickname for the place. Only now, there are more tall buildings, upscale apartments, and attractive young people mingling about. 

Kathleen and I went for a walk on the Katy Trail - an urban biking/running trail that was just built as I was leaving Dallas. We saw the old tennis courts where we used to play when we first started dating and reminisced about the old days.

It is hard to believe the trail is now 25 years old! Apartment buildings line the trail, and many of them have the name, "----- on the Katy Trail," evidence for the importance of the trail to prospective tenants and the community. In typical Dallas fashion, there is even a bar on the trail that has its own Shinola clock!


During our visit, we also caught up with two of my best friends from Hopkins, who are on faculty at Southwestern. Both of them are doing well, and we had a chance to spend time with them and their families. 




While our friendships have not changed, their lives have in so many ways. Despite it all, they have found a way to keep going despite pain, loss, and disruption. I was inspired by their ability to stay true to themselves despite all this turmoil. 

As I communed with these friends, I was struck by a simple question. Why exactly do we seek out old friends and re-connect? On some level, I think it is too reminisce about the past and our memories together. I believe it is also to understand ourselves better and who we were back then vs. who we are now. Most importantly though, it is too show that we still care about each other and want each other to remain a part of our lives, even if we are separated by distance and other obstacles. We want to remind each other that friendship is for life. I know I speak for us all when I say that we are lucky to have each other in our lives!

No comments: