Saturday, December 31, 2022

WHEN GIANTS WALKED THE LAND


I had the good fortune to catch up with one of my mentors from residency at UT-Southwestern, Dr. David Hillis, today during our visit to see my sister in San Antonio. Dr. Hillis literally changed the trajectory of my life, and so it was nice to see him again.

Dr. Hillis was the residency program director at UT-Southwestern when I interviewed there, and fortunately he selected me for the program there, my first choice. I was influenced not only by Dr. Hillis but by so many other faculty and colleagues who inspired me to become a physician-scientist. I met Kathleen there, who gave me our two amazing kids. If Dr. Hillis and the other members of the inner sanctum in the Department of Internal Medicine had not chosen me for Chief Resident, I am not sure I would have matched at Hopkins for fellowship or learned the invaluable leadership skills that came with that job and the extra year at UT-Southwestern.

Looking back at my time in Dallas from 1998-2002, I would still call it the best four years of my professional life, even though it was among the most arduous. It was the best four years because of the people and the culture in which I was exposed to art of the practice of medicine. I would not trade that experience for anything!

To Dr. Hillis and all the other giants of academic medicine who once walked the land, I have two simple words that do not do justice to their example or their influence on me. Thank you!

No comments: