Wednesday, November 4, 2015

THREEPEAT

Last week, my futsal team Arse-and-all won our third title in the past five seasons. It was one of our easiest championship runs, and we actually won the title with one week to spare in the season.  However, like with every season, we did it a little bit differently.

In the past, we have been much more of a possession-based team with quick interchanging passes and many beautiful team goals much like Guardiola's Barca. This season, however, we played a decidedly different style - more counterattacking with less possession or control - kind of like the current Barca. They say that one must adapt or die. Therefore, I guess we can call this evolution, although I am not sure I would call it progress or more beautiful than our former style. However, one must dance with the one that brought you or play the style that fits the current players, many of whom were new and unused to the style of play that we used to inflict on other teams.

I do not want you to think that playing was boring or unfulfilling. On the contrary, it felt great to complete such a wonderful collective achievement of winning another title as a team. Working together to create something beautiful is what brings me back to this team and this game every time. Playing is fun, and playing and winning is even better.


I sprang for trophies for the team when it was clear that we would be champions, and I bought a cup trophy, too. This is because far too often we dwell on the failures and lows rather than the successes and highs in life. This was not one of those moments, We had a small ceremony after the final game, and we even got some love on social media from the facility at which we play.  The players seem truly touched, but it was I who had been touched by them and everything they gave to the team this season.

We are taking a little bit of a break, but I hope we will be back on the court soon. Here's to Arse!

No comments: