Sunday, November 7, 2021

BAD THINGS DO HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE

This title is taken from a recent podcast from the Apsen Institute with the author and theology professor Kate Bowler. She was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer in her thirties, which caused her to reflect on her own life. That thoughtful reflection was captured in her book, "Everything Happens for a Reason (And Other Lives I've Loved)." As an oncologist, parent, spouse, and parent, I found her words and personal story to be truly remarkable, and she presented a vision of life as a gift -  a vision that I constantly try to remember.

One simple thing I take from Ms. Bowler's writing and her words is that she wants us to be grateful for the things we will miss - when they go away - before they have actually gone. I wish that for all of us.

No comments: