Monday, September 22, 2014

THE CHILDREN ACT


Once in a while, an author comes around who nearly always captivates you and who rarely lets you down. For me, that author is Ian McEwan.

I first encountered McEwan in the late 1990s after he won the Booker Prize for "Amsterdam." Since then, I have read nearly every new book he has published. These include, "Enduring Love," "On Chesil Beach," "Saturday," "Sweet Tooth," "Atonement" - one of my favorite books of all time-, and most recently "The Children Act," his newest novel.

What distinguishes McEwan from other authors is primarily how well-researched his books are and how his characters capture the feelings of their era. In that sense, "The Children Act" is a perfect example of McEwan at his best.

The story centers on a female British judge, who focuses on domestic cases. Her job is not only to interpret the law but also to determine what is best for the children whose cases come to her court. She does so with thoughtfulness and earnestness. However, the same cannot be said of her dealing with others, most notably her husband from whom she has become estranged.

Over the course of the book, we see the judge's life unravel while at the same time that she is doing her best to prevent the lives of the children in her court room from doing the same. I will not spoil the ending, but it is a classic McEwan twist, which is fitting. Indeed, (my) life rarely works out according to plan. This explains why I love McEwan and why I recommend "The Children Act" without reservation. 

No comments: