Saturday, September 19, 2020

TRANSITIONS

Transitions and disruptions in life are inevitable, yet why do we find them so uncomfortable? I think it is the feeling of impotence and sense that we are no longer in charge of our destiny.

My family and your's have felt transition's wrath this past year with the COVID pandemic. Throw a cross-country move, new jobs, and new schools into the mix, too, and one is left feeling quite lost.

However, transitions are not cause for despair. Transitions are an opportunity to redefine one's self and to chart a new path. I was willing to give up my life back in Portland because I felt as though the opportunity to lead and grow and be surrounded by people like myself would never come. 

Finding a community of individuals who wanted to make the biggest difference possible for patients with cancer and who were equipped to achieve that goal was worth the transition. I have found what I was looking for, but I have also found frustration, sadness, and a good dose of humility. Nonetheless, this year has shaped me into the man I am today. I am stronger, wiser, and more capable than I would have been after a lifetime spent in my old life. 

For me, this move was the best decision I have made, despite how hard things have been. It does not hurt that we had some major successes this year in the lab and that my team is starting to trust me and take shape. I hope the next years can bring that same sense of cohesion in my family life and personal life.

This bring me to a wonderful article by Arthur Brooks in the Atlantic, entitled, "The Clocklike Regularity of Major Life Changes" from his column, "How to Build a Life." It gives a thorough overview of why transitions are so painful and how we can make the most of them. Instead of raging against what is happening to you, Brooks suggests we adjust and adapt. In adaptation, comes purpose and strength. There really is no other option if one wishes to move forward. 

I hope you find some solace in the article. Also check out the related podcast from Brooks, entitled, "The Falling Tides of Life." I wish you peace in your own transition.

No comments: