Wednesday, July 27, 2016

LIVING IN THE TRUMP ERA

Last week the Republicans nominated Donald Trump to be their candidate for President. It was a frightening moment and quite unbelievable that the "Grand Old Party" would make a hack, a reality TV star, and a bigot their standard bearer.Understandably, many Americans like me are worried about the prospect of a Trump presidency and what it will mean for those who are the "other" or in the minority.

This past weekend Nicholas and I went to Starbucks. When I parked, I told him to be careful opening its door because we were parked close to another car. I got out of the car and headed to the Starbucks. When I looked behind for Nicholas, I saw that the woman in the car next to us had gotten out of her car. She looked at me and scowled, "He banged his door into my car." I stopped and apologized to her. Nicholas was taken aback and appeared quite upset.

As we made our way to the Starbucks from the parking lot, I unloaded on Nicholas. I reminded him that I had warned him to be careful. I told him that the car next to us belonged to someone else and that he had made her very angry by being careless. What I didn't tell him was that I was worried that this white woman and white people in general would react to experiences like that to develop negative opinions about people who look like us.

After we got our drinks, we knocked on the woman's window. I apologized to her and asked Nicholas to do the same. She also apologized for "flying off the handle" and said that she had been on a very important phone call and was surprised to hear her our car door hit hers. We left on good terms, and I felt better knowing that we had not alienated this woman.

Whether Trump wins or loses, I do feel as though people of color like me need to always put their best face forward to avoid alienating strangers. It only takes one bad experience to create a stereotype, and I do not want to give people that misperception.

That night during bedtime stories, I explained to Nicholas why I was so upset and what I was worried about. He said he understood. However, in many ways, I hope this sweet, eleven year-old boy, who has never experienced, racism does not understand. I hope Nicholas grows up in a city, a country, and a world where he is judged by the content of his character and not the color of his skin as Dr. King hoped for.

Here's to our future America. Do not screw this up!

No comments: