Tuesday, December 31, 2013

TRADING UP

When I was going up, baseball trading cards were all the rage. I even collected a few myself. These cards continue to be quite popular in many parts of the country. However, in my house, Nicholas collects all together different cards - football cards.

For Christmas, he asked Santa for some new cards. However, his request came one week before Christmas. This did not leave Santa and the elves much time to make the cards, especially since Nicholas already owns quite a few collections.

Santa apparently was up for the challenge, and on Christmas morning Nicholas found an album and fifty packs of cards from the UEFA Champions League, the pre-eminent European club football competition. Already, he has two-thirds of the cards he needs, and he will be saving up his birthday and Christmas money so that he can order some more.

Nicholas' interest in collecting these cards is about far more than football. He love to learn about where the players are from. He loves to draw them. Most of all, he loves to learn new things. 

I am happy to encourage his habit. Plus, I get the duplicate cards for the Barca players!

No comments: