Thursday, May 21, 2009

If You're Happy and You Know It, FLAP Your Hands



One of the most important things in life is having great friends. I have been fortunate to have had them at all stages of my life. While I have never had a huge number of friends, the people whom I have called my friends have always been amazing people. This was particularly true during med school, residency, and fellowship. For this reason, Kathleen and I, or should I say I, have always been a little concerned that Nicholas has not made more deep connections with kids at school or in the neighborhood. Now, mind you, he is only three, and I may be paranoid. Part of my concern stems from the fact that I think he is such a cool kid; he is smart, caring, and very funny.

Yesterday, I arrived at his daycare to pick him up at the end of the day. His teacher was reading the class a story, "Curious George Gets a Medal," perhaps the longest book in the history of printed words. I know this because I had read this tome to him the week prior while we were on vacation in Minnesota. Anyway, Nicholas appeared to be really enjoying the story. I knew this because he was flapping his arms. Flapping his arms, you say? The above video is illustrative. From the earliest age, he has always flapped his arms when he was excited, particularly when enjoying himself (above video notwithstanding). Yesterday was no different. However, the fascinating part was that after he did this, several of the kids in his class reflexively flapped, too. It was, to my eye, not done in a mocking way but rather in imitation. He, of course, was oblivious to the fact that the kids seemed to find him to be cool.

What I have come to realize is that his lack of deep connection (again, I know he is only 3) is probably a function of being a choosy person... sort of like his dad. I have never been one to form casual connections, but I will do anything for those who are my friends. I think that most people are not bad; they are just not worth befriending. I guess this makes me particular rather than misanthropic, and the little guy may be no different. I know he will make deep connections with friends as he gets older because he already has with me, and I am one tough customer.

No comments: