Wednesday, May 6, 2009

CATCHER IN THE RYE?



So the other morning Nicholas said he did not want to go to school. This was after he had thrown a mini-tantrum prior to heading out the door. After some mild "voice raising" (i.e. yelling) on my part, he got in the car, and we headed to school. I asked him why he did not want to go to school. He said it was because he was tired of playing by himself. He uttered this with just the right tone of sorrow, which made me feel compelled to come up with a solution. I suggested he recommend a game of "monster tag," in which each kid would be a different Sesame Street character and in which the objective was to tag whomever was it. He said that sounded like a good plan for facilitating interaction. After dropping him off, I thought more about his response for why he did not want to go to school, and I was a little more skeptical.

Today, his teacher told me that the kids love him and find him "charming." The little guy pulled one over on his old man. While I do not doubt that he feels isolated at times (what 3 year old does not), he clearly knew which button to press. He is no Holden Caulfield, but he does know (already) how to convince people... dad included.

No comments: