Sunday, September 29, 2024

51

Earlier this month, I celebrated another milestone - my fifty-first birthday. I am not one to think too deeply about birthdays or aging, but it is hard not to at my age!

In thinking about the 51 years I have spent on this earth, I am struck by how lucky I have been and what a wonderful life I have been blessed with.  My dream of being a doctor came true. I have been able to have the career I always dreamed of as an academic physician. My parents are both still well, and I get along with both of them. I love my siblings, and I have a wonderful wife and children, who are incredibly talented and who are growing into remarkable young adults.

I have been able to weather personal and physical challenges and am still able to get up each day and go for a run without limitation or discomfort and clear my mind. Because of my job and the people in my life, I have a better appreciation for the beauty of nature and the everyday kindnesses that are easy to take for granted.

Altogether, I feel very fortunate to have had the life I have had. I do not know when my last day will come. Let's hope it is not for a while! However, if it comes tomorrow, I will die knowing that I have been blessed by so many amazing people, places, and opportunities. I will try to remember this truth everyday - and not just around birthdays - and to appreciate all I have to be thankful for. 

No comments: