Saturday, October 16, 2010

HI, I'M CATE!

It is hard to believe that it has been 2 years since our little Cate was born. She came to us one week late and without drama (thank God) on October 14, 2008. A lot has happened in her lifetime. We saw the United States elect its first biracial President. We saw the world financial markets (along with her and her brother's 529 plans) tank. We saw partisanship like our country has never seen and the emergence of the more racist, radical wing of the Republican party.

However, we have also seen a lot of joyous things. After about 6 months of "colic," Cate began to sleep better. At 9 months, she began to walk. At about 18 months, she began to communicate effectively with words, and there has been no stopping her since. She is someone who clearly had a lot on her mind that she could not convey to us early on, and it has been a pleasure watching her express herself.

She is running circles around the other kids at school, and Cate is probably the most empathetic (she holds the hands of the smaller kids at her school and offers them her muslin blanket aka "muz" when they are sad), intelligent (she already knows how to count and knows her ABCc), and coordinated (she can kick a soccer ball amazingly well with both feet) child I have ever met. And, as you can see from the pictures below, she is a cutie and has an amazing sense of style!





Lately, she has been offering her hand to people, and, when they take it, she says, "I'm Cate!" An example is shown below. So sweet!



As I have watched her grow, I have felt a stronger attachment to Cate. I want to keep her safe, but I also want her to dream big and to reach for the stars. I always said that if I have a girl, I hope she is someone like Mia Hamm- gifted, down-to-earth, and kind- unlike many women with whom I interacted while growing up.

While I do not know whom Cate will be when she grows up, I know she is already a wonderful child. I look forward to watching her become the amazing adult I know she will become.

Here's to Cate!

No comments: