Sunday, May 26, 2024

TRUE GRIT

Nicholas recently found out that he did not get either of the summer internships he interviewed for. He also did not hear back from many other media outlets in the area, which was quite surprising and discouraging.

However, I shared with him that he is one of the most passionate, curious, and talented young writers that I know. Sometimes, talent is not enough, and who you know and timing play a big part in success. I shared how many times my writing through grants or publications have been rejected and how that hurts. However, I always used that as an opportunity to improve the product, understanding that writing - like life - is a work in progress.

Nicholas has rallied and has thrown himself into his job working at the snack shack at the racquet club. I told him there will be plenty of time to gain more journalism experience and to have internships focused on what he wants to do long-term. In the meantime, enjoy this summer and use it to plan for next summer and the many opportunities that he wishes to pursue then. 

I hope he gets what he wants. More importantly, I hope he continues to build grit and resilience to handle the times when he does not. Chin up, Nicholas!

No comments: