Sunday, May 26, 2024

FOREVER 21


This month, Kathleen and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. Our marriage is now old officially enough to drink!

Marriage, by far, is the hardest thing I have ever done because one's own wishes and desires and interests must be balance by those of another individual whose happiness and fulfillment is equally important for a successful union.

I have not always been the best partner. Often, I have let my own experiences witnessing marriage up close color how I behave, or I have let my own insecurities or issues color my mood and behavior. 

I wrote to Kathleen in her anniversary card that I wanted to focus on handling stress better and being a better partner. Sensing just how much pressure I have been feeling, Kathleen asked me, "what is the worst thing that would happen if you failed?" It was such a simple question, but it cut to the core of the problem - how I have let my work and the challenges I face on a daily basis impact our happiness. She went on to add, "No matter what happens with our work lives, we will be fine." These words were so full of grace and understanding, and I felt a weight lift when she said that.

I found myself wondering, "what did I do to deserve this amazing woman," with whom I have been lucky to spend half my life - 25 years? I still do not have an adequate answer, but I will try to appreciate everything I have in my life, most of all someone who has been my constant companion and source of strength in all these years together. I love you, Kathleen!

No comments: