Sunday, January 14, 2024

TWO THINGS AT ONCE

In an attempt to make sense of life, we often think in black vs. white or all vs. nothing terms. However, life is much more nuanced and complicated than that. I have tried to remind myself of this in this new year to avoid catastrophizing situations or circumstances.

The ability to see clearly and to put things in context is indeed becoming rare as we retreat to our filter bubbles with our curated news feeds that echo our pre-conceived world views. I do not know how to break our biases except to take a moment before drawing a conclusion or making a judgement. This is easier said than done, but I don't know of anything our world needs more than - honest perspectives and the ability to hold two disparate thoughts in one's head at a time. Hamas is evil, but so the Israeli response is similarly unforgivable. Our workplace has major issues, but the work is still rewarding. Our projects are not moving like they should, but they are important projects that we are capable of executing.

Two things at once. I will do my best to remember that today and every day.

No comments: