Sunday, January 28, 2024

EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY

Throughout much of my life, I hated Sundays. This was mainly because it meant the end of the weekend and a return to school or a busy work week during medical training. However, something happened as I got older. Sunday became my favorite day of the week.

There are many explanation for why Sunday became such a sanctuary for me. When I started my faculty career, I often worked on Saturdays to wrap up the work I did not finish during the work week. Therefore, Sunday became my one day off. I made the absolute most of that day, often playing pick up soccer, watching soccer on T.V., and definitely reading the Sunday Times. 

It is Sunday today, and today was no exception to my routine. I started off with a nice run outside while the snow quietly fell. I then settled in for a few hours of reading the Times. 


Afterwards, I took a nice walk in our neighborhood. During that walk, I listened to a playlist by the Smiths and Morrissey, one of my favorite bands and singers from my youth. Fittingly, one of the songs that came on was, "Everyday is Like Sunday." That song laments Sunday's arrival, but on my walk on a somewhat dreary Michigan winter day, I was struck by just how beautiful this Sunday was and how far I have come since those teenage years listening to those bands.

I have lived all over the country. I have trained in some of the finest medical centers and am now a faculty member in one of them. I have amazing friends, wife, and kids, and most of my dreams have come true! I hope I can remember all the things I have to be thankful for on the other days of the week so that everyday can be like Sunday!

No comments: