Sunday, September 3, 2023

BACKSEAT PASSENGER


Though we have been to Detroit several times, our trip there this weekend was different. That's because Cate was our driver!

Cate has had her learner's permit for about a month, and she has been driving around town with us. However, our trip to Detroit was her farthest drive. 

Getting out of town was no small feat because it was Michigan football game day. Despite, that, Cate deftly steered us out of town and onto I-94 East to the Motor City.

Our goal was to take in a mini eating tour, and our stops did not disappoint. First, there was Ima, a wonderful izakaya near downtown. We had karage chicken and rib eye, blistered broccoli, and robata ribe eye and mushrooms for a start. Then, each of us had a rice bowl.



From there, we headed to Eastern Market, one of the nation's largest, open air markets, where we bought beautiful produce for some upcoming Labor Day meals.

Our next stop was Sister Pie, a bakery started by Lisa Ludwinski that prides itself for hiring workers from the local community and that is known for its amazing pies and desserts. We picked up a few cookies and a "plum surprise." Needless to say, we were pleasantly surprised!


Finally, we hit the highlight of the trip for me - the vegan ice cream shop Cold Truth. I always tell myself I will try something new when we go there, but I always revert to my standard pick - sweat cream with chocolate drizzle. It is one of my favorite desserts - no lactaid required!


Not a bad roadtrip, and I got to enjoy it all from the back seat!

No comments: