Wednesday, June 28, 2023

PAST LIVES


Last night we saw the new independent film, "Past Lives." It was one of the most profound movies I have ever seen and resonated with me on so many levels.

The story revolves around two Korean young people who grew up together in Seoul prior to one of the children emigrating to Canada. Their bond is temporarily broken, but they rediscover each other years later in young adulthood through - what else - Facebook. From there, their lives connect and disconnect again, but there is a bond that seems unshakeable despite distance and other personal entanglements.

I will not spoil the story, but the characters are drawn with such depth, complexity, and warmth that one cannot help but feel for them or root for them. In so many ways, I saw myself in these characters and thought about the choices I have made and the people I loved whom I left or who left me. 

While we only have one life to live, we have so many past lives that make up our histories. It is up to us to appreciate the past, look for all that we longed for from the past in the future, but also live in the present. While the bad stuff often comes back around, so, too, can the good stuff. We just have to be on the look out and appreciate and seize our chances if and when they come back around.

No comments: