Tuesday, September 4, 2012

PRIDE



Most days, I am very proud to be a Democrat. This is not a difficult task in liberal Portland. However, tonight Democrats in every part of this land had reason to be proud after witnessing some of the speeches at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC.

First, Julian Castro, the young mayor of San Antonio, delivered an absolutely inspiring speech about his story. It was a story about hope, opportunity, and hard work.  It was an American story - an American dream. The best lines of the speech reminded viewers that we are all connected and not just in it for ourselves. He said, "My mother fought hard for civil rights so that instead of a mop, I could hold this microphone" and "the American dream is not a sprint, or even a marathon, but a relay." Wow!

Next, First Lady Michelle Obama took the stage. She reminded voters of where she and President Obama came from. She also reminded voters about how their family's struggles made them who they are and how these experiences give them an appreciation for what people are going through.  She said that the fights President Obama has picked are not political but personal and based upon his unwavering desire to help others rather than himself.  No one could have made that case more clear or compelling than Mrs, Obama, and I hope America was listening.

Both of these speeches reminded me that my story is no less remarkable.  My parents moved half way around the world to Canada for educational and economic opportunities that still do not exist in India. Then, they left comfortable lives and took one more step forward - this time to the U.S. - the land of ultimate opportunity. They did not do this for themselves but rather for their kids.  We, kids, learned first hand about sacrifice, hard work, and desire. These experiences made me who I am and still inspire me to this day.

My children like Mitt Romney, will probably never know economic hardship or have a sense of being on the outside looking in because of our station in life and where they will grow up - tolerant, liberal Portland. However, I am already trying to teach them that to whom much is given, much is expected. We do not measure success by our bank balance. Rather, we measure it be the ways we help other people or the ways we make this world better.

Privilege can be poisonous (see Romney, Willard Mitt). However, privilege can also serve as a tool to remind one how lucky one is how important it is to help those that have less than one's self.

Those are the values with which I was raised. Those are the values that we heard about tonight. Those are the values that are worth fighting for - even dying for.  I hope Nicholas and Cate were listening tonight. I hope they were watching their mom and dad tonight, who were moved beyond words to be a part of this Democratic Party.

No comments: