Thursday, May 31, 2012

NUMERO UNO


Little Cate is one of the most competitive people whom I have ever met.  Her killer instinct shines on the soccer field, but it shines even brighter every other night when she and I play Uno prior to reading bedtime stories.

She and I go for the jugular, and we call putting down a draw two or a draw four card drawing blood. The games get pretty heated, but each of us is a good loser.  I always congratulate her when she wins, and she does not (often) cry when she loses.

The instructions state if a certain card color is in play, a player must play a card of that color if he/she has it.  The other night I said Uno and had just one card left in my hand after playing a green card. I waited to see what Cate would do.  Truth be told, I knew that she had green cards in her hand.  Cate proceeded to draw a card- presumably with the hope that she would get a draw two or draw four that she could play against me to stop me from winning.  To no avail, she did not get one of these cards.  I played my last card and won.

However, afterwards I asked Cate if I could see her cards.  Cate must have sensed that she was about to be busted for not playing a green card because she proceeded to sit on her cards.  I told her that if she wanted to play again that night, I needed to have her cards back so I could shuffle the deck.  She still held back.  Finally, I handed her a stack of cards and asked her to mix her cards in.  It just so happened that the cards I gave her did not have any greens.  She mixed in her cards carefully while I closed my eyes.  Afterwards, I sifted through them and asked her about the new greens that had appeared.  I was smiling and cracking up.  She smiled, too, but was obviously embarrassed because she kept saying, "Dad, don't laugh!"

I shuffled the cards up and we played again.  This time, she won fair and square, and I gave her a big hug. That's my girl!

No comments: