Sunday, March 21, 2010

ONCE IN A LIFETIME


In my lifetime, we will have health care reform. This piece by Paul Krugman summarizes the momentousness of this occasion and what it took to overcome the opposition this past year. Anything I could write on this matter will pale in comparison to Nobel laureate Krugman's words, but I will try.

I will be traveling to D.C. in 2 weeks with Kathleen and the kids. I had contacted our Congressman Earl Blumenauer, who voted for the reform measure tonight, to arrange for a tour of the White House. Sadly, that will not be possible as all the tours are full, but his office did offer us the chance to tour the Capitol. After this historic vote, I think that tour will be much more meaningful for me and for the kids one day.

I hope Nicholas and Cate will read in their future text books (which will not be in Texas public schools thank God!) about these amazing March days in 2010 when the Democratic Party, on its own, did what every other Congress and President had not had the strength or courage to accomplish: to make health care an inalienable right. After this, accomplishing anything else will seem like icing on the cake...


In the next few days after President Obama signs this bill into law, I will take down the above sign from my yard and pack it away. However, just like when I packed away my Obama '08 sign, I will remove this sign with infinite joy and endless faith in the capacity of Americans and Government to do the right thing and get the job done... once in a while... or at least once in a lifetime.

No comments: