Monday, July 13, 2009

THE BOY WHO WOULD BE KING



Today my first-born, aka Mr. Nicholas, sporting the crown above turned 4. It is hard to believe that he was born in 2005 after a very, very long and scary labor. It seems like yesterday when I first held him in my arms as tears streamed down my cheeks. He has become quite the young man since that time, and, as much as one's lifestyle takes a hit after kids, I could not imagine my life without him.

He has taught me a lot in the past few years. Principally, stubbornness and particularity are family traits, and love knows no bounds. I am sure I will have the same feel for little Cate, who turns 9 months tomorrow, as she begins to take form and grows into the person whom she will become. I have always been a very teleological person, sort of an anti-Siddhartha (another would-be king- see Hesse, Hermann), but my children and a day like today remind me of the importance of enjoying the journey and taking it all in. There is joy in that!

No comments: