Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A WORK OF ART

"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession."
-Albert Camus



One of the most important things in life, if you ask me, is art. Whether it be music, painting, literature, or even dance, art has the ability to transform the way one feels and thinks. The foundation of much of civilization has rested upon cultivation and appreciation of art, and I can identify with that. I am not sure exactly when an interest in art developed in me, but I love most modes of art.

My favorite art form is music, mainly rock but also classical, bluegrass, world music, etc. My friends have been instrumental, no pun intended, in turning me on to various bands- the Smiths, Soundgarden, Martin Sexton, Jeff Buckley, etc. However, I discovered one of my current favorite bands, Bon Iver, all on my own. The lead singer is Justin Vernon, and their album "For Emma, Forever Ago" was hailed by many as the best record of 2008. I could not agree more. A clip of an impromptu a cappella performance of their song, "For Emma" in a hallway in Paris may be found here.

This song never ceases to amaze me or move me, and I think it is because there is a confessional quality in Justin's words and notes. I do not know exactly who "Emma" is, but I feel like I know her. Perhaps that is the true measure of great art- reaching the audience and bringing them into the artist's world while they also bring the artist into theirs.

No comments: