Saturday, January 17, 2009

RACHEL GETTING MARRIED


Tonight, I saw "Rachel Getting Married," which was an amazing film.   I do not want to spoil it for those who have not seen it yet, but I found it to be one of the year's most compelling, yet hopeful films.  That may sound strange for a movie about a train-wreck of a person, Kym, who returns for her sister's wedding straight from rehab, but I call 'em as I see 'em.  Indeed, my vision is colored by having loved too many women like Kym (present company excluded).  

Anne Hathaway gives the best performance (of her life) I have seen this year by an actor (mind you, I do not see as many films as I used to, but she is dead on), and she leaves the viewer with both disgust but also empathy during various points in the film.  I said to Kathleen after leaving the movie that I had that post (Indian) wedding exhausted feeling- tiredness after a too long ceremony but also wonder at the beauty and ritual of it all.  At times, I almost wished we had had a wedding.. almost.  Pretty amazing effect for a film.

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  If a career in Medicine or Science does not work out, forget politics.  Get me a press pass and a ticket to Sundance- I am the rightful heir to Ebert's throne, but for tonight the balcony is closed.

No comments: