Sunday, April 14, 2024

GRATEFUL

The NPR podcast, "Hidden Brain," is one of my favorite shows. The podcast is focused on social sciences, namely psychology, and it covers the many mental traps we fall into. Recently, they released a show called, "The Enemies of Gratitude," which featured the psychologist Thomas Gilovich. In summary, we are our own worst enemies, and ingratitude often happens because we place ourselves center stage and forget all those around us who are also key protagonists in our lives. This tunnel vision becomes particularly acute under times of stress, and I must confide that unremitting stress is something I - and some many others - have faced these past few years.

However, somedays one is able to rest one's gaze outside one's self and to appreciate everything that is around us. Today was one of those days when I went for a run in the nearby Nichols Arboretum on a beautiful spring day. 


It was in the high 40s without a cloud in the sky when I took off for my run this morning. Within seconds, I was struck by how our long winter had finally come to a close. I witnessed bulbs on some plants and even flowers on others. As I neared the Arboretum, I even caught a glimpse of a blue jay, resplendent in the sun. 

As I was running back home - up a very steep hill, mind you - I could not help but feel grateful to live so close to the trails in the Arboretum, to have my health, to be able to still run, and to have the capacity to appreciate the beauty around me.

When times get tough or stress creeps back in, I hope I will remember my experience today and that it will sustain me.  What an amazing life I have had, including these last four and three quarters years with my family and teams at work here in Ann Arbor. These people and experiences like today remind me what gratitude is all about.

No comments: