Wednesday, October 25, 2023

GRACIOUS

"Hidden Brain" is one of my favorite podcasts, and I always enjoy the new insights on psychology or behavioral economics that the guests share. This week's episode focused on gratitude was particularly good.

I have always thought of myself as a grateful person, and I try to express my gratitude generously. The psychologist Thomas Gilovich from Cornell expounded upon the many ways gratitude can be a positive force in life. Indeed, we seem to derive joy from receiving gratitude from others and bestowing gratitude on others. Moreover, witnessing others express gratitude to other people is also life-affirming for us. This speaks with how important kindness and truly seeing and appreciating people are - especially in today's culture riven by animas and enmity.

I am grateful for so many things in life - far too many to list here - but especially my family, my friends, my career calling, and my health. These are not things to be taken for granted, and I will try to remember to be gracious during my good days and my bad!

No comments: