Friday, August 2, 2019

STORYBOOK ENDING

After we returned from France on vacation and before we left Portland, I had a chance to play one more time with my futsal team Arose-And-all, and it was a night to remember.

For the past 4 years, my teammates have been my best friends who provided a much needed connection - one that was unmatched by anything else in my life there.We won many titles together, including three straight league titles, but it was more the understanding we developed with each other on and off the pitch that made that team so special. Therefore, I was excited to have one last chance to play with them.

On that night in the last game of the season, we faced the top-rated team in the le
ague. Though we did not have a chance to displace them on top - even with a win - we all wanted to go out on a high note and avenge an earlier loss to that team.

For much of the season, we have been short-handed due to injuries or vacations, but on that night most of the team was present. We normally spot the opponent the first few goals, but not on that night. We took an early lead, and I scored a first half-hayrick -the first time I have ever done so! We went into the half leading and determined not to let them back in. In the second half, I played back since each player is capped at 3 goals (i.e. even if I scored again, it would not have counted). In the end we finished the match on top 10-7. A very fitting way to wrap up my time with Arse-and-all.


Afterwards, we retired to the bar upstairs for beers and homemade rice krispy treats and chocolate-covered strawberries. I do have the best teammates! At the end, we said our goodbyes and hugged.

As I mentioned, winning became irrelevant as our time together went on. It was the memories we made together - win or lose- and the quality time we spent together during or after the game that made game day - Sunday- my favorite day of the week in the past four years. While my ending with Arse was storybook, so too was every moment with them along the way. Love you Arse!




No comments: