Monday, August 6, 2018

WINNING NUMBER

A37105496. That is the number my Permanent Resident, or green card, was emblazoned with when I came to the U.S. in 1984. Despite the fact that it has been 15 years since I became a citizen and no longer needed that document, I still remember that number. That is because your life is linked to your "papers" and your "alien number" if you are an immigrant - or at least an immigrant who was fortunate enough to come to the U.S. through traditional channels

I thought more about my number in recent weeks when news broke about the forceful separation of parents and children who were undocumented immigrants in the U.S. These people did not have a number like me, but they had an even greater right to be here.

My family came for educational opportunity from another first world nation - Canada. On the other hand, the families torn apart by this administration's policies were seeking refuge from abject poverty, abuse, or even death. Who is to say that they have less right to come here than someone like me who "stood in line."

I do not know the hardship and pain those families feel. When I try to imagine what it would feel like to lose my children, or even to be forcibly separated from them for a few hours or days, my heart breaks. We are all immigrants, and we can all take a stand against this injustice. Call your congressperson, vote him/her out of office if they do not fight for immigration reform and the rights of those who are undocumented, and thank your lucky stars that you or your ancestors were able to come here when they did - probably by the same means as those from Central America today - by not standing in line.

While times are surely dark, there is reason to be hopeful and to believe that change will be possible. My own brother was sworn in (finally) as a U.S. citizen last week. That is one more Texas voter! Now, I need to convince my sister, who is still a Canadian citizen despite having lived her for 34 years, to do the same before it is too late.

May we never forgot the privilege and responsibility of being an American citizen, and may those who persevere against all odds to come here to start a better life get that opportunity to do so with their families and lives intact.

Vote!


No comments: