Wednesday, August 12, 2015

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME

This week, we have been enjoying vacation near Banff National Park in Alberta. Of course, we brought along a soccer ball, and we quickly found a pitch nearby in town with absolutely breathtaking views of the Rockies.


We went there earlier this week to run around and blow off some steam. The kids and other adults went to the playground area. However, I headed for the pitch. I started to practice free kicks, which was a little tough. This was because there was no net in the goal and because so many of my kicks sailed over the bar. :(

An Asian gentleman saw me, and he stationed himself behind the goal. He then proceeded to shag my kicks and return them to me. He also provided some encouraging words along the way. 

After I was done practicing, I proposed a kids versus parents game, and our families and his family joined in this spontaneous kick about. 

The game was competitive, especially with Cate and Nicholas on the opposite side. However, the parents might just have prevailed due to some special play from yours truly and the Asian dad who had started the evening by shagging my free kicks.  It turned out that he was an orthopedic surgeon who was visiting from Beijing, and that he too loved football and Messi. What a small world!

They say that a soccer ball can help break down barriers and bring people of different creeds, nationalities, and political affiliations together. I do not know about all that, but it was clear to me that night that soccer is a beautiful, beautiful game appreciated the world over - from the USA to China by way of Canada!

No comments: