Sunday, April 12, 2015

THE CROSSOVER


Sometimes certain books just grab you. Kwame Alexander's new book "the Crossover" belongs in that category. 

We picked up "the Crossover" at Powell's in the Portland the airport. We drawn to it because Nicholas has become rather interested in basketball, and the cover of the novel is adorned with the image of basketball player and  with the sticker for the Newbery Award Medal for the best children's book of 2015. 

At first, I began to read the book with Nicholas, but he went on to finish it himself. I had planned to read it with Cate, but Nicholas dissuaded me from this because he said "she is too young for some of what happens." Intrigued, I read the book on my own tonight, and I was blown away.

There are many reasons why "the Crossover" is remarkable. First, the entire book is written in verse - poems or short raps - and tells the story of two young African-American brothers whose dad is a former basketball great. The book never feels gimmicky, and the words and verse are heavy with emotion but also full of life. The story, too, is quite heartfelt. Indeed, the main character Josh is forced to crossover into many new and challenging directions throughout the course of the book. I constantly found myself empathizing with the young man and remembering so many similar experiences from my own childhood. Finally, this is not a dumbed down version of a coming of age story; not everything works out in the end in "the Crossover," and the ending is quite thought-provoking - especially for young readers. How many times can one say that about a book written primarily for tweens?

Pick up a copy of "The Crossover" or check it out from your library. I promise it will not disappoint, but please have your Kleenex handy!

No comments: