Wednesday, July 2, 2014

PROMOTION

This post is not about promotion of soccer teams, the term that describes the process by which lower tier teams move up to higher leagues. Rather, tonight, I received word that I was promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor of Medicine. I was thrilled to hear this news, but mostly I was relieved.

You see, I have been at my current position for seven years, and during that time I have worked hard to contribute in the three areas that are expected of a faculty member - teaching, service, and research. However, hard work alone does not guarantee one a promotion. One must demonstrate that one's efforts have been substantive and that these efforts have led to the betterment of the institution.

As you can imagine, there is a lot of subjectivity in judging an individual's accomplishments. That is why the applicant writes a letter, much like a grant document, to convince the promotion committee that one deserves promotion.

Writing this type of document focused on me was quite difficult. Many of my friends and colleagues advised me to write this as though my mother or father were writing it and to extol my virtues without regard for humility. I followed their advice, but their edits invariably played up my accomplishments more than I had. I suppose that if one cannot convince one's self that a promotion is justified, one will not convince a committee of one's peers.

As I finalized this letter last fall, I reflected on my efforts over the past seven years. I looked back on all the committee meetings, lectures, and countless weekends in the lab or in my office. There was an opportunity cost to doing all those things. Likewise, not doing those things would have jeopardized my ability to be promoted. Surely, there must be a way to achieve balance?

Moving forward, I hope to become more focused and to devote my efforts to being great in specific areas - namely my research - while trying to limit other assignments or activities that might dilute this focus or diminish my time with equally valuable pursuits - i.e. my family.

While I am thrilled to be one step closer to tenure, I want my tenure on this earth to be both productive but also enjoyable and healthy. Here's to advancing up the ladder but not losing sight of the wonderful view from where one stands with the people one loves!

No comments: