Wednesday, March 26, 2014

LIFE'S UPS AND DOWNS


Today, Barcelona's goalkeeper Victor Valdes suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury of his right knee. This is a devastating blow because Valdes is a key player both for Barca and the Spanish national team... in a World Cup year when Barca is in the hunt for three major trophies.

I would have been sympathetic if this injury had happened to this player at any other time in the past. However, I am doubly sympathetic - no, make that empathetic - because of my own recent injury.

Getting hurt or diseased is a cruel twist of fate. I felt this most strongly myself when I was in clinic yesterday as many of my own patients expressed their concern for me. I told them that my injury was unfortunate, but I also told them that I was staying positive. Their courage in the face of their disease gave me perspective and strength. I hope Victor is surrounded by people who make him feel the same way.

Tonight, I was heartened by a message of support sent by Valdes' former teammate Eric Abidal on twitter. Abidal was struck by cancer not once but twice, and he told Victor, "All my energy and strength so that you recover quickly! #animsvaldes" (my love to you Valdes). All of us cules feel the same way.

As low as this low is Victor, you will get back up again and you will triumph again. Your friends and all the fans are behind you. Stay positive! You will be back soon and better than ever! AnimsValdes!

No comments: