Monday, July 15, 2013

INJUSTICE



Yesterday, the jury announced that George Zimmerman was not guilty of killing Trayvon Martin. Martin was an unarmed, defenseless, Florida teenager whose only crime was being born black. 

The proceedings of the trial were closely followed, and many had hoped for a different outcome. No one made a stronger case for what was at stake in this trial than the New York Times columnist Charles Blow, who is a father of two young African-American sons. That is why, I first turned to Mr. Blow's twitter feed after the verdict was announced and why I looked for his column today. That column may be found here and includes a video essay by Mr. Blow.

I was so moved by this piece that I sent him an email tonight. That email is excerpted below.

Dear Mr. Blow,

I am writing to express my profound sadness about the verdict in the Zimmerman case. I am dumbfounded by the ruling, and I cannot understand the conclusions that these jurors reached.

As a brown man living in this country with a biracial son, I worry. I worry that this young man, who is pure innocence, will not be viewed that way by strangers because of his skin color. I worry that they will call him nigger like they called me when I was only a kindergartner. I worry that we have not come far enough in this country, and that a post-racial society will never come.

However, I also have hope. I hope because there are people like you who are a voice of reason and conscience. I hope because I have seen an outpouring of outrage, sadness, and compassion from all corners of the globe. I hope because the alternative - despair - is a pill that I am not ready to swallow.

Words - your words - always touch me, but never more than in defense of Trayvon and boys like him in every community. Thank you for all your efforts, for your words, and for giving voice to the concerns of so many who cannot be heard or will not be heard.

Best,


Joshi Alumkal
Portland, OR

What more is there to say?


No comments: