Monday, December 17, 2012

HEAVEN IS BARCELONA PERIOD.

I write from somewhere over the Western United States. I am on my way back from a truly memorable trip to Barcelona, aka Heaven.

This trip had its ups and down. Hey, anytime, one travels 18 hours to a foreign country, there are bound to be some ups and downs. However, with the exception of the stale air on the plane and the Vega General, or general strike, the trip was nothing but pleasure.

Barcelona is truly a special place unlike anywhere else I have ever been, and this trip did not disappoint. The weather was temperate. The food was delectable. The football was magnificent. The women were beautiful. The people were welcoming and down to earth. The art was masterful. The metro was clean, prompt, and efficient. In sum, the city was breathtaking in every way.

When I try to think of a city that resembles Barcelona, I am truly at a loss.  Sure, there are many other lovely European cities, but none comes close.  In my opinion, the city that comes closest is of all places Portland. Why? Plain and simple it is because of the shear passion and authenticity of the people in both places.  People care about the land in each place, People care about respecting other cultures and ways of life different from their own in each place. People have civic and regional pride in each place. However, Portland can only be considered a lighter, wetter version of Barcelona because of the greater diversity, history, and majesty of the Catalan capital.

One finds one's self drawn to people and places at various stages in one's life. For me, this is my Barcelona stage, and I do not see it ending anytime soon.  Summer family trip anyone? Sabbatical anyone?  I kid you not.  If I were ever to leave Portland, Barcelona would be the top of my list because of the focus on quality of life, work-life balance, peace, and pursuing one's dreams and aspirations.  

Only people like the Catalans that have suffered as much as they have under Spain and others can truly appreciate the value of life. Only a place influenced by so many different cultures and customs could be so tolerant.  They have seen tyrants, despots, dictators - all Spanish - rule over their land and repress their language and ways of life. It is that history as a backdrop that shapes the Catalan independence  movement. This quote from Napoleon sums up the Catalan people better than anything I could dream up: “Courage isn't having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don't have strength.” 
On November 26, one week from today, we will see what the Catalan people decide when they vote for the new regional government.  I, for one, will be watching.

However, whatever the people decide, I will remain a fan of the city by the sea named after its founder  the Carthaginian leader Hamilcar Barca.  

No comments: