Saturday, November 17, 2012

HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH... IN BARCELONA


I do not believe in God, but tonight I witnessed a piece of heaven on earth – an FC Barcelona match at the Camp Nou in Barcelona. I was seated in a prime viewing spot seven rows back from the players’ box at midfield, and no I will not be sharing how much the ticket cost!

The Camp Nou is the largest sports stadium in Europe, and it may well be the largest sports stadium in the world with a capacity of 100,000.  The stadium needs to be this big because countless hoards turn up for every home game to watch Messi and company work their magic. Tonight, was no different, and I witnessed the best sporting event – make that the best public event – of my semi-long life. 

First, the crowd was filled with people of all ages, races, and even genders.  Second, it was a decidedly family affair. A sweet little two-year old Catalan boy was perched on his mom’s lap next to me.  On my other side sat an older Catalan couple.  They seemed quite reserved… that is until the first goal.  After Messi put in the back of the net, the man turned to me and shouted, “Messi!”  I shook my head yes, and we smiled.  After Messi’s second goal, we high-fived, and I had made a new friend.

Despite the fact that we did not speak the same language, we clearly appreciated the masterpiece that was written by the Barca players on the pitch. The whole crowd appreciated that the players were not merely playing for them. These players were performing for the crowd, who witnessed football at its highest level. 

Ten of Barca’s starting eleven players came up through their youth academy, and so the club and the fans are almost like their family. One could feel sense the effusive pride with which these men played, and their love for the game was palpable and contagious.

However, I was struck most by the ease with which the Barca players played the game.  Nothing was forced. Everything was natural and well executed.  There was levity. There was skill. After the opposition Real Zaragoza tied the game, there was determination and Barca quickly regained the lead and did not look back.

Tonight was truly a night to remember.  I sent Nicholas live text updates during the game as he watched  home on TV.  I am sad Nicholas, Cate, and Kathleen could not be there tonight. Had they been with me, they would have witnessed something strange and unfamiliar in me – happiness and pure joy unlike anything in recent memory.

I will be back to the Camp Nou, and next time I will bring them along. Something as sweet as this time was meant to be shared, and I cannot think of anyone else with whom I would rather go to Heaven.

Visca Barca! 

P.S. Do not worry!  Once I get home, I will update this post and add pictures and videos!

No comments: