Sunday, May 8, 2011

MY FAVORITE PLACE



Believe it or not, my favorite place in Portland is not Jeld-Wen Field, the home of the Timbers. The Japanese Garden in Washington Park is actually my favorite spot, and we went there yesterday for "Children's Day." While we missed most of the festivities, including release of new koi into the ponds because the kids were napping, it was still a special visit.



Despite the fact that we were with the kids, the garden was also as resplendent and peaceful as ever. Truth be told, the kids were very well-behaved, which was a tribute to the garden and the power it has over people of all ages.











More than any other spot in Portland and perhaps the world, the Japanese Garden fills me with utter peace and reminds me how beautiful life is.



If I were single, this is where I would take my first dates, and this is where I would propose marriage. I only wish that the kind of solace and sanctity that one achieves upon visiting the Garden were more widespread in life. However, as a member of the Japanese Garden, I can come as often as I like for free, and I will be back...soon.

The Japanese Garden is where you can surreptitiously scatter my ashes when I am no more. Here, when you come visit me, you will see and hear the wonderful sound of the bamboo reeds tipping after a strong rain and be reminded why life is so worth living.

No comments: