Monday, August 9, 2010

ANOTHER FIRST


Today, we went to (of all places) the Oregon Zoo. Nicholas was fresh off zoo camp, but he wanted to go back and "see the whole zoo." While at "penguin camp" last week, he learned a "penguin salute" and the "penguin happy dance." Both involve a form of holding one's hands by one's side sticking out and promenading in a circle.

At the zoo today, we saw children dressed up in their red penguin zoo camp shirts, and I suggested we give them the proper salute. Nicholas was horrified. He said, " No dad, we cannot do that. Please stop."

I was taken aback but immediately desisted. Tonight, I asked him about it thinking that I had embarrassed him for the first time. He said that the dance was only for the current campers and that he did not want to distract the kids and the counselor. I think he was trying to let his old man off easy. Chalk one up to embarrassment... and to diplomacy!

No comments: