Friday, February 19, 2010

THE (FACEBOOK) PARTY IS OVER

It has been one week since I quit Facebook, and I have no regrets. It was fun initially. However, it later came to feel like a part-time job to keep abreast of one's "friends'" musings and to offer one's own witty quips. As a friend, who is not on Facebook, once said,"Facebook is like a cocktail party... that never ends." Well, the party is over.

While growing up, I remember hearing the saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Well, in the digital age that saying should be updated to, "If you don't have something meaningful to say, don't say anything at all." I came to find that the same people had the same things to say and that I was turning into one of those people. Each person is obviously free to say whatever he/she pleases or to be whomever he/she pleases, which is why I quit.

While, on the surface, constantly "hearing" about one's friends activities or interests might seem like keeping in touch, I found that I felt increasingly distant from these folks due to the divergence of our lives, which was spelled out on a daily basis. I would prefer one quality conversation per year with a real friend than 365 sound bytes per year from each Facebook "friend."

That in a nutshell explains why I closed down the account and why I will not be going back...ever. The keg has been floated. Lights out!

No comments: