Tuesday, December 15, 2009

THE LONE STAR STATE


We were in Texas last week visiting family, and Kathleen attended the San Antonio Breast Cancer Conference. A few thoughts about the Lone Star State.

Indeed, everything is bigger in Texas. The portions in restaurants and at my mom's house were huge, and after meals I felt as though my stomach had shrunk or that I had, indeed, stuffed myself silly. The germs are also bigger and more virulent as 3 out of 4 of us got the "barfing illness" and diarrhea, and Cate got an ear infection requiring antibiotics. So much for R & R.

People are friendlier in Texas. Everywhere we went, people were very kind and polite even if most of 'em were Republicans!

The weather can blow in Texas, too. It was cold and overcast the entire trip... except for the day we left when it was 70F and sunny. Ugh! Maybe next year Texas will be back to its normal, mild winter self!

Sprawl is the rule and not the exception. Texans never met a transit initiative they did not vote down and never met a suburb they did not want built... especially in North San Antonio. 2 words for you- light rail- get one!

My family is all in Texas, which is to say that I will be back for more..., but only after they make the trip up here first!

P.S. Do not get me started on air travel with our beloved one year-old!

No comments: