Thursday, October 8, 2009

SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME


So, whenever I leave the house without Nicholas, during his waking hours, he insists that he follow me outside (weather be damned, darkness be damned) in order to watch me leave. Mind you, he does not want to do this from the front door or even the front porch. He likes to stand on our sidewalk to watch me run off or drive off. At times, it is a little painful to get him dressed or help him use the bathroom prior to having him come out and watch me depart, especially when I am (invariably) running late.

Once we get outside, he always runs up to me, prior to my leaving, to ask, "Which way are you going to go, daddy?" I am struck by how sweet this is and how one day he will grow tired of this ritual and will eventually find his old man uncool. However, these moments (and when I write this blog) remind me how lucky I am to be his dad and to be his friend. That, I will always cherish.

No comments: