Thursday, February 5, 2009

THE GOOD OLD DAYS/I LEFT MY HEART IN PORTLAND


I traveled to San Fran today for a business trip. There were no mandatory scheduled events today, so I decided to just explore the city. My hotel, the W, which stands for wonderful, was in the SoMA area, so I decided to set forth on foot. I first got my coffee fix at a great local place called "The Blue Bottle"- stumptown-worthy (lower case s). Then, I went on a trek to find Nicholas a surprise. When I had mentioned I was going on a business trip to San Fran, to which he had accompanied me on a business trip last year, he became a little upset and said he wanted to come. I explained that it would not work out this time but that I would get him a surprise. He said he loved animals and puzzles (Hint. Hint.) but that he would love whatever I brought him. Needless to say I got the kid an animal and a puzzle.

With the rest of the afternoon, I wandered around SF MoMA and then had a great work-out on a treadmill with a built-in fan. W equals wonderful. Then, I did one of my favorite things, which I have not been able to do as much post-children- I went to the movies and saw Frost/Nixon. Frank Langella was so good that I wanted to impeach him. My travel companion from work joined me (he is a big cinemaphile, too), and then we had a great dinner of Thai food at a restaurant called Osha.

I am now back in my room and have just listened to voice mails on my phone. On one of the messages, a tucked-in Nicholas calls in to say he loves me. I had a fun day, a great day reminiscent of before children days, and one needs this kind of day every now and then. Despite that (and with a partially re-charged battery), I cannot wait to get home to see the family and go back to the good new days.

No comments: